Monday, May 25, 2015

Our Budget

I remember when I was first in the process of planning for my move to Haiti. I was visiting a church in support of another missionary and I ran into the former president of a mission agency. I told him I was going to be serving in Haiti. He asked me how much I thought I was going to need, $2,500-3,000 per month? I said I thought $1,500 per month would be enough. I thought he was crazy for recommending that much! Well...if I was only in Haiti short term (1 year or less), and single, the $1,500 per month probably would have been enough. 

Now that I've been serving in Haiti for over a year, and I've become a married man, I realize that the estimate I was given is much more realistic than what my original budget called for. So, I decided it was time to give a budget update. Here is our budget:

Current/Ideal or Anticipated Personal Budget (Monthly)
Category  Amount (in
USD)
Rent 400
Food (groceries) 400
Internet 60
Cell Phones 40
Health Insurance (Basic International Coverage for Josh, up to 200 if Fabiola is added and we get a better plan to include things like pregnancy costs)                 45-200
College Loan Repayment 235
Life Insurance 10
Gas for Car                 150-200
Car Maintenance (also includes insurance and other taxes)                 75-100
Dining/Activities               100-200
Retirement Savings (at least this much) 100
Travel to States (estimated airfare costs if broken down per month)                      150
Clothing/Hygiene/Other miscellaneous needs                 50-100
Total Monthly            1815-2195
Taxes (Social Security/Medicare, state, local) at least 20% (after non income expenses are deducted)               324-369
Tithe (at least 10% after non income expenses are deducted)               162-185
Total Monthly with Taxes and Tithe included           2301-2749
One Time Costs:
Fabiola's Immigrant Visa/Green Card         1,500-2,000
Josh's Haitian Residency (Annual Haitian Visa, Costs Less to Renew) 200
Cooking Stove 250
Pots/Pans/Plates/Cups/Other Kitchen Items 200
Mattress                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Monthly Donations Received Since January 2015:
January: $1,490
February: $645
March: $1,565
April: $7,103 (Over $5,000 of this was used to pay 2014 taxes (about $3,000) and vehicle expenses/repairs (about $2,000))

Looking at our current budget needs and the monthly donations we have been receiving, it is clear that we are falling significantly short of meeting our monthly budget. God has provided in our time of need (look at April, for example!) There is no doubt somehow or another we will be able to to get by. Logically, and in my finite mind, it currently looks impossible, but God has brought me through so much. I have learned a lot during my time in Haiti. I've been living from one miracle to another for quite some time now. I look forward to seeing how God is going to come through for us!
250

No comments:

Post a Comment